How Often Do I Need To Test My Drinking Water?
Testing of a residential well begins before one buys a house, and should continue throughout the possession of that home. In general, your well should be tested each spring for mechanical issues, while your water should be tested for contaminants at least once a year.
The rate of change in rural well water quality often decreases over time, so you can test less often following the initial testing.
A standard test should check for the presence of bacteria, nitrates and nitrites as these elements can seriously affect the health of you and your family if left untreated.
Be sure to check the quality of your well water as you become aware of any of the following issues:
- a visible change in quality including cloudy water
- a funny taste to your well water
- elevated levels of contaminants in previous well water tests
- if you have recently drilled our updated your rural well
- industrial land use nearby
- chemical use nearby such as at a construction site
For more information about testing your well water — or rural well — please contact us.